Adding a suitable sentiment can make all the difference to a Halloween project. A great sentiment or greeting can really make a handmade card stand out and is the perfect way to finish a card that you may have spent hours making. Halloween sentiments can be used in a variety of other ways. Use one of the ideas below as inspiration for a scrapbook page or to add to Halloween party invitations or gift tags. Halloween sentiments can also be added to Halloween decorations for an unusual finishing touch. See How to Add Sentiments to Cards for ideas and tips for adding wording to handmade cards.
There are many different types of Halloween sentiments or greetings that are suitable for craft projects. These range from amusing one liners to short, scary ghost stories.
Quotations are a useful addition to many Halloween projects. They make great Halloween sentiments for handmade cards and other projects. Quotations take all forms, from cheeky quips to more thought provoking words, this makes them ideal for serious and amusing Halloween themes for all ages.
- BrainyQuote - a wide range of ghost quotations
- Think Exist - more ghost themed quotations
- Hollow Hill - famous Halloween themed quotations
- Quote Garden - quotations for Halloween
- The Holiday Spot - various Halloween quotes
- Finest Quotes - some well known as well as more unusual Halloween themed quotations
- About.com Quotations - funny Halloween quotes
- About.com Quotations - Halloween quotations
A spooky poem is perfect for adding to a handmade Halloween card or other craft project. Here are some ideas for a wide variety of poems. These include classic poems by well known poets through to modern verse. Remember to check the copyright conditions before using poems.
- DLTK Holidays - Halloween poems and songs that are particularly suited to children. The songs can also be used as poems.
- Apples4theTeacher - Halloween poems including some classics
- Haunted Britain - a range of poems suitable for Halloween
- Verses4Cards - poems that have been chosen for handmade Halloween cards
- The Holiday Spot - Halloween themed poems
- Alphabet Soup
- Things that go Boo - lots of poems for adults and children. From a range of different authors and poets
- Ghost Poems - spooky poems for Halloween
Lighten the mood a little with a Halloween joke or two. These are ideal for adding to cards that you have created using cute or amusing characters. These also make great ideas for Halloween sentiments for kids' Halloween craft projects.
- American Folklore - Halloween themed jokes, suitable for kids
- Ghostwatchers - truly groan-worthy Halloween jokes
- True Ghost Tales - lots of witch jokes
- The Holiday Spot - jokes and one liners
- Caverns of Blood - lots of Halloween jokes, suitable for all the family
- Activity Village - Halloween jokes that are suitable for kids
Song titles or lyrics make an interesting alternative to traditional sentiments and greetings. Pick a title or a few lines from the recipient's favorite band or singer to make the card that little bit extra personal. Children's songs can make good alternatives to poems.
- About.com Top 40 - top 10 Halloween pop songs
- Rainbow Songs - Halloween songs for kids
- Kids Music - words to Halloween songs
Ghost stories can make an interesting alternative to traditional Halloween sentiments. Short ghost stories can be added to a card for an unusual greeting. Campfire ghost stories could make interesting themes for stamping projects. If you are feeling creative, write your own short ghost story and add it to a card or other project and use stamps to illustrate it. Another way to use ghost stories is to print them out and use them as background papers for Halloween stamping projects.
- Ghosts and Stories - short ghost stories, including some well known stories as well as some that are not so well known
- James Gang - scary campfire ghost stories
- Boy Scout Trail - a range of short ghost stories that are ideal for campfires. Bring back memories of being scared witless at camp!
- American Folklore - spooky and scary short stories
- Lang.nagoya-u - A collection of longer ghost stories by such authors as Dickens, Hardy, Stoker and Kipling
- American Folklore - The Black Dog of West Peak and the ghosts of the White House are included in this collection of short ghost stories from around the United States
A puzzle turns a plain greeting card into a fun activity. This can be a great addition to Halloween cards for children. Either add the puzzle to the front of the card, and decorate with rubber stamping or add the puzzle to the inside as a replacement for a sentiment or greeting. Here are a range of puzzles that are great for children of all ages.