This long thin gift box is perfect for Halloween. This style of box is often referred to as an icicle or carrot box. Use it to hold candies or other treats, as Halloween favors or use the box to make unusual decorations. The box is simple to make using the free printable template on the following page. The box can be scaled up or down in size as required.
The icicle or carrot box is easy to make, however for best results it is a good idea to score along the fold lines to give clean edges to the box. The top of the box can be decorated in a number of ways. Either leave it plain or add decorations to give an interesting finishing touch.
Note: The box is squeezed slightly to close the top, therefore it is best not to overfill it.
- Template (see next page)
- Medium weight cardstock
- Halloween rubber stamps and ink
- Ribbon, glitter or other embellishments
- Glue, scissors and other basic craft supplies
- Either print the template (see next page) onto scrap paper and transfer this to good paper or print the template directly onto good paper. If you are going to decorate the paper with rubber stamps then it is better to do it now, before the paper is folded.
- Cut around the template and score along the fold lines as indicated.
- Use adhesive or double sided tape to join the edges of the Halloween icicle box. Carefully fold the top flaps over to seal the top of the box. The two larger flaps connect to close the box.
Design IdeasHere are some design ideas:
- Pick Halloween colors to give an appropriately seasonal theme to the project. I used orange and black, however black and red or black and silver would also work well.
- Cut panels from a coordinating color paper and add this to the outside of the box.
- Add streamers or ribbons to the top of the box.
- Stamp an image of a ghost or witch and cut this out before applying this to the top of the box.