Gifts in a jar are an extremely versatile handmade gift idea. The idea is very simple - take an empty jar and fill it with special contents and decorate the jar to make a great gift. What makes gifts in a jar a particularly special gift idea, however, is the wide range of contents that can be added to the jar. From the dried ingredients to make a cake or a wholesome soup, through to bath time treats, this is an idea that can be adapted to make a great gift for almost everyone! Ideas for gifts in a jar recipes can be found at the end of this page. If you have a gift in jar idea or a tip to share, you are very welcome to post your thoughts here - Gifts in a Jar Ideas.
As well as being able to create a wide variety of gifts with this simple concept, the jar can also be decorated with labels and tags. Adding an ingredients label that also includes instructions is obviously necessary, however you can use this and a gift tag to personalize your gift. Decorate the jar lid or make a jar topper to really finish the gift in a jar in style! Labels, tags and jar toppers can be decorated with rubber stamps. See How to Make Jar Toppers for a step by step guide to decorating jar lids.
Types of Jar
Any type of jar works well, however it is important to match the size of jar to the contents. A baby food jar, for instance, is perfect for hot drink mixes or single portions, however a larger canning jar will be required for full sized cake mixes. It is important for the jar to be airtight and therefore it should have a tight fitting lid.
Tip: - If the jar isn't airtight, add the ingredients to a ziplock bag and put this in the jar.
Labeling the Jar
It will be important to label the jar so that the ingredients and how to use the mix are clear. This can be a simple hand written note, however it should contain all the information that someone requires. This includes an explanation of what the gift is, how they are to use the gift in a jar and details of any other ingredients that are required (for instance any eggs or liquids that might need to be added to a cake mix). The label should also include cooking or preparation instructions.
Decorating the Jar
Customize and personalize the jar by decorating the lid or making a jar topper. Jar toppers are easy to make and, if they are made from paper, can easily be decorated with rubber stamps. Other ways to decorate the jar include:
- For an extra special look try layering the ingredients.
- Add ribbons or yarn to the top of the jar and tuck a spoon into this. Wooden scoops make a great accompaniment to this type of gift.
- Use glass paints to paint on the glass jar. A rubber stamped image can make a great glass painting template.
Gifts in a Jar Ideas and RecipesHere are some ideas and recipes for gifts in a jar:
- Bath Salt Recipes and Ideas - ideal for many occasions
- Hot Chocolate in a Jar - this idea uses a baby jar
- Kentucky Chocolate and Nut Pie Mix in a Jar - an easy to bake pie mix
- Cookies in a Jar - a selection of different cookie recipes
- Chocolate Crunch in a Jar - ingredients to make chocolate candies
- White Chocolate Oatmeal Cookie Mix - easy to bake cookies
- Ranch Style Dressing Mix - ideal for small jars