This unusual polymer clay medallion is deceptively simple to make. The rubber stamped image provides both visual interest and texture, making an ideal focal point for the medallion. The surface of the clay is dusted with Perfect Pearls pigment powders and this highlights the texture of the stamped image. The lacy edges are created by gently pulling and distorting the clay, using its natural 'give'. This can be used as a card topper, piece of jewelry or simply as an attractive ornament.
The medallion is easy to adapt. Customize the project by using different shaped stamps, varying the color combinations of inks and pigment powders, add a glossy or satin surface or in a whole variety of other ways.
Tip for beginners: Remember that polymer clay is very forgiving. As long as it is not cured (heated in an oven), any mistakes can simply be rolled up into a ball of polymer clay ready to start again. This means that you can practice stamping and shaping the clay, building up your confidence before creating a final version using inks and pigment powders.
The lacy edge of the medallion means that it is fragile to handle before it is cured, therefore it is best to work on a ceramic tile or flat surface that can be placed directly into the oven to cure. If this is not possible, then work on a piece of baking parchment and transfer this to a baking tin for curing.
- Polymer clay
- Rubber stamp
- Pigment ink pad
- Perfect Pearls pigment powders
- Acrylic block, paper piercer or large needle
More Reading About Polymer Clay and Rubber Stamps
- How to Condition Polymer Clay - well conditioned polymer clay is essential to good results
- Learn About Polymer Clay and Rubber Stamps - how to use rubber stamps with polymer clay (a beginners guide)
- Stamp with Acrylic Paint on Polymer Clay - create interesting surface textures and designs
- Easy Polymer Clay Mokume Gane - use rubber stamps to create interesting effects in polymer clay
- Easy Polymer Clay Pendant - effective polymer clay pendant
- Mica Shift with Polymer Clay and Rubber Stamps - create an optical illusion in metallic polymer clay
- Customize Brads with Polymer Clay - create your own unique and customized brads