What Are Twinkling H20's?
These colors can be used on a variety of surfaces and these include paper and cardstock, wood, plastic and even eggs - and they are ideal for many altered art projects. Some projects may require sealing when finished.
Twinkling H20's are made in America by LuminArte who also manufacture the Primary Elements range of paints.
How Are Twinkling H20's Used?
The colors are highly pigmented giving strong and vibrant colors. These can be blended with water for lighter shades. LuminArte have developed a color that is ideal for blending to lighten colors, this is called 'Oyster' and will lighten the color while still keeping the distinctive shimmer. The colors can also be blended with other water color paint such as tempura or gouache, however this will also decrease the level of shimmer in the paint.
Twinkling H20's can be applied using paint brushes - or can also be applied direct to the rubber stamp and stamped onto paper or cardstock.
Ways that Twinking H20's can be used:
- As backgrounds for stamping projects, this can then be stamped on as normal
- To color in rubber stamped images
- Applied over embossed images
- Added to wet paper to create a soft image
- Paint onto dark papers for a dramatic look
Review - How do Twinkling H20's Perform?
One of the problems of buying kits or packs of paint is that you are 'stuck' with the colors. This pack, however, presented an excellent range of colors, and while 'gold dust' and 'sun burst' may sound as though they could be similar, when used they are distinctively different. Each of the colors is bright and vibrant and blends well. Twinkling H20's were painted on white paper as well as colored cardstock and the colors remained bright. Interesting effects were achieved when applying the paints as a color wash over dark paper and cardstock.
Ease of Use Twinkling H20's are simple to use and require no special equipment. The surface of the paint does require moistening prior to use, and the paints are easiest to use when the surface has been moistened and left to stand for a few minutes. Any standard paint brush can be used and the paints can be applied direct from the pot or after being blended on a plate, piece of plastic or pallet.
Clean Up Being water colors, clean up is simple! After use it is just a case of rinsing paintbrushes and other equipment well in water. The colors are heavily pigmented and staining was experienced on paintbrushes, however this is not a problem in normal use.
- The colors in this pack are exceedingly bright and vibrant - to a level that is unusual in water color paints.
- The mix of colors in the pack are well balanced
- The paint is lovely to apply direct from the pots and also create a shimmering wash for backgrounds
- The colors are deep and the paints go a long way
- While each pot of paint will go a long way, buying many different colors can work out expensive, therefore take a good look at the colors in a pack and ensure a good mix. Remember that you can blend and mix colors therefore the primary colors will give you a wide spectrum.
- Oyster is a versatile color that can be used to lighten shades, and also can be used as a priming layer to give extra shimmer to a project. This is also useful when painting on a surface that requires more than one layer.
- The LuminArte website has a lot of information about Twinkling H20's including a gallery.