What is Embossing Paste?
Embossing paste is a thick paste which is applied to paper or cardstock. When dried, the paste creates a hard surface which can be left plain or further decorations added to emphasize the design. The paste is available in a variety of colors. The plain white embossing paste and transparent embossing paste are also ideal for customizing with colored mica powders, glitter or other colorings.
How is Embossing Paste Applied?
Embossing paste is often used in conjunction with a stencil. The paste is spread evenly over the stencil so that a raised design is created. The stencil is carefully removed and the embossing paste is left to dry. The drying process may take several hours, therefore this process is well suited to being spread over two or more crafting sessions. For example, spreading the embossing paste one day and finishing the project the next.
What Materials and Supplies are Required?Other than the embossing paste, no other special supplies are required. However if you want to add color or special affects then you will need these to hand. Other materials you will require are a stencil and pallet knife. A metal stencil is ideal for this technique as the stencil will stay firm on the page. Masking tape is also useful to hold the stencil in place.
How to Buy Embossing PasteEmbossing paste can be purchased from a craft store or online. Information about purchasing the Dreamweaver Embossing Paste can be found on the Dreamweaver Stencils website.
DIY Embossing PasteMany stampers and crafters like to make their own embossing paste. There are some interesting and detailed tutorials online that explain how to make your own embossing paste using readily available materials. These include:
- Passionately Artistic - a tutorial showing how too make embossing paste
- Paper Threads - a discussion about DIY embossing paste
Embossing Paste Projects and TutorialsThere are many excellent projects and tutorials online that both instruct and inspire. Some interesting projects and tutorials showing how to use embossing paste are available on the following pages:
- Dreamweaver Stencils - this page shows readers how to use embossing paste with brass stencils
- Marie Loves to Stamp - a tutorial showing how to make a festive card with embossing paste embellishments
- Video Tutorial - if you prefer to watch rather than to read then this video will be useful, it shows how to use embossing paste and glitter to create an attractive design.
Tips for Using Embossing PasteHere are some tips for using embossing paste:
- Make sure that the stencil is firmly held in place when you are spreading the paste, this will help to stop the design from smudging and will give you clean and crisp edges
- Spread the paste carefully to ensure that it does not spread under the stencil
- Work on a flat surface, this will also help to ensure you get good and crisp results
- Make up a few designs with embossing paste so you will have some to hand in the future if time is short and you do not have time to allow the paste to dry
- Use small pieces of cardstock or chipboard to create embellishments or accents for a handmade card or scrapbook page