No party would be complete without paper hats! Either make the paper hats before or why not make decorating paper hats a party activity? This is suitable for children of all ages. Very young children will need a lot of close supervision, however older children can design and make their own hats. Paper hats can be decorated with a wide variety of rubber stamps and embellished with glitter glue, sequina and other adornments.
Paper hats can be made from craft paper, thin cardstock or even fancy decorative papers. A roll of thin cardstock would be ideal. The only other materials that are required are glue, scissors and embellishments.
- Paper or cardstock
- Glue or sticky tape
- Rubber stamps and ink pads
- Glitter glue, marker pens, sequins, feathers, ribbons - and anything else that will add a great finishing touch to a hat!
InstructionsDepending on the age of the children, you may either want to cut the hats out before they arrive or allow the children to do this themselves.
- Either use a template to make a hat (see below) or cut a strip of paper to go round the child's head and cut points into this to make a crown.
- Decorate the hat with rubber stamps and other embellishments.
- When these are dry, join the two edges of the hat together with glue and tape to finish. You may want to add a ribbon to tie under the chin to keep the hats from falling off!
Free Paper Hat TemplatesIf you would like to use a template to make your paper hats then there are plenty of different types to choose from. These include:
- About.com Family Crafts - hat template
- Making Friends - quick hats to decorate
- Scholastic - template for a cone hat
- How to Make a Hat - lots of instructions for different types and styles of hat