Paper doilies come in a variety of shapes and patterns. By coloring over the doilies with inks, paints or chalks, interesting effects are created that make stunning backdrops for a variety of rubber stamping projects. These are particularly effective for vintage inspired designs or shabby chic projects.
Vary the finished effect by changing the color combination or coloring method. Chalks give a light, subtle effect while inks give vibrant and deep colors.
- Gather materials together. Fix the doily over the paper or cardstock by either taping the doily or using a repositionable adhesive. This firmly holds the doily in place and allows both hands to be left free. It is possible to simply hold the doily in place if required.
- Ink:Rub or dab an ink pad over the doily. Different effects are achieved depending on how the ink is applied. A brayer could also be used to apply ink.
- Paint:Gently brush paint over the stencil. A sponge, stippling brush or roller could also be used to apply the paint.
- Chalk: Use chalk applicators to rub chalks over the doily. Different colored chalks can be used together to create interesting and varied textures.
- Carefully remove the doily and leave the paper to one side to dry if required. Incorporate into rubber stamping projects as required!
- Keep the doily after use as this could make interesting embellishments for other rubber stamping projects.
- If the paper doily breaks and the image is blurred in some areas, cut out the usable sections for use as embellishments.
- Use an embossing ink and emboss the pattern.
- Try using glue and applying glitter for a sparkly finish!
What You Need
- Paper doilies
- Paper or cardstock as required
- Paint, inks or chalks
- Applicators as required (paint brush, rollers or chalk applicators)
- Repositionable adhesive or tape if required.