A scrolled paper heart is quick and easy to make. Decorate strips of paper with rubber stamps to create your own unique look for these pretty adornments. These scrolled paper hearts make fun embellishments for cards (although remember that the heart embellishment will need to be protected if the card is to be placed in an envelope). These hearts will also make fun decorations and garlands. Try threading some onto a length of nylon cord to make an attractive romantic themed garland.
Type of Paper Used for Scrolled HeartsThe scrolled paper hearts are made from a strip of paper that has been wrapped around a cylindrical shaped item such as a knitting needle. The finished shape of the heart will depend on the tightness of the curl and how you choose to arrange it. Any type of paper is suitable. Paper strips used for quilling would, of course, be ideal for making scrolled hearts. However you can also achieve great looking results by using plain paper decorated with stamped images. Try stamping an all over design on one side of the paper strips, or place images evenly along the length on both sides to crate a more formal design.
- Take a strip of paper and gently fold it in half
- Roll the ends around a knitting needle or something similar (remember to roll both ends towards the middle of the strip)
- Gently arrange the strip into a heart shape
- Use glue or adhesive tape to hold the heart shape in place
How to Make GarlandsIf you want to make scrolled heart garlands then there are a couple of ways that you can string the scrolled hearts onto a thread or cord. Try piercing a hole through the finished hearts and threading these onto the thread or cord. The effect can be varied by piercing the holes at different angles. Another way to thread the hearts if you are after a more uniform effect is to pierce the 'v' base of the heart, thread this onto the stringing material and then trapping the stringing material between the two sides of the heart when you adhere them together.
More Folded Paper Heart ProjectsIf you are looking for more paper heart projects then don't forget to check out the pages below:
Tips for Making Scrolled HeartsHere are some tips for making scrolled hearts from a strip of paper. While this is a simple technique and one where different effects are easy to achieve, these techniques will help you achieve great looking hearts:
- Try rubbing an ink pad along each side of the paper strip, this will help to emphasize the shape of the heart
- Remember that you can make a feature of the inside of the heart, try stamping or writing a message on the inside of the paper
- Try using a thicker paper for garlands as this will hold its shape better