If you are going to make your own DIY wedding stationery then deciding the style, shape and size of the different items is an important part of the planning process. There are a wide variety of different wedding stationery items that can be created, from wedding invitations and wedding programs through to table settings. While it is possible to use wedding stationery blanks which are available in a wide range of styles, many couples opt to create their own blanks for decorating with rubber stamps and other embellishments from sheets of cardstock.
Wedding Stationery From Standard Size Cardstock
One of the most cost effective way of making card blanks for different wedding stationery items is to create the card blanks from standard sized pieces of cardstock. This does not mean that every item needs to be the same size or shape – far from it! There are many different ways that a single piece of cardstock can be divided.
A single sheet of 8.5” x 11” cardstock could create any of the following:
- 1 folded card (ideal for invitations, thank you cards etc.) – 5.5” x 8.5”
- 1 gatefold card (both edges folded into the middle) - 5.5” x 8.5”
- 2 single sided cards (postcard style) – 5.5” x 8.5”
- 2 folded cards (ideal for smaller invitations etc.) - 4.25” x 5.5”
- 2 gatefold cards (both edges folded into the middle) - 4.25” x 5.5”
- 2 tall cards (ideal for invitations or 'checkbook style' cards) – 2.25” x 8.5”
- 4 single sided cards (postcard style) – 4.25” x 5.5”
- 4 small folded cards (suitable for place settings) – 2.75” x 4.25”
- 8 small single sided cards (suitable for place setting holders) – 2.75” x 4.25”
A single sheet of 12” x 12” cardstock could create any of the following:
- 2 folded cards (ideal for invitations, thank you cards etc.) - 6” x 6”
- 2 gatefold cards (edges folded into the middle) – 6” x 6”
- 4 single sided cards (square postcard style) – 6” x 6”
- 4 folded cards (smaller cards) – 3” x 6”
- 4 gatefold cards (edges folded into the middle) – 3” x 6”
- 8 single sided cards (small square postcard style) – 3” x 6”
- 8 small folded cards (suitable for place settings) – 3” x 3”
- 16 single sided cards (suitable for place setting holders – 3” x 3”
One of the benefits of using standard sized cardstock to cut and shape cards from is that card inserts or attachments can also be cut from standard sized paper.
Unusual Shaped Card Blanks
There are many other shapes that can be cut from standard sheets of cardstock and many different variations in the ways that cards can be folded. Triangular cards, for instance, could be created by folding the cardstock diagonally. When creating unusual or non standard shapes, however, there are a few points to remember:
- Unusual shapes and sizes may not fit into standard sized envelopes
- While it is possible to add rubber stamped decoration in any direction, it can be less straightforward to print non standard text, for instance, text on a diagonal
- Remember to factor in the amount of time that it will take to cut, trim and fold you own cards
Plain White Cardstock for Wedding Stationery
A ream of 250 sheets of plain commodity cardstock could a large amount of wedding stationery and will cost under $20.00. While a plain white might not be to everyone's tastes, stunning effects can be achieved using a few simple rubber stamping techniques. This can transform plain white cardstock into something that is a little different. Inks can be chosen that coordinate with the rest of the wedding color scheme. It is, of course, possible to buy standard sizes of cardstock in a wide range of colors and patterns, plain white, however is likely to be the most economical.