Many couples find that there is so much information to share with guests about their wedding that wedding information packs are a useful addition to standard wedding invitations. These can take many forms and one of the benefits of making your own special DIY wedding stationery is that a wedding information pack can be completely customized.
What is a Wedding Information Pack?
An information pack is sent out either as part of the invitation or as a separate document. An information pack should include supplementary information to the invitation. The invitation, therefore, should contain the essential details of the ceremony and celebration and the information pack should contain additional information that guests might find useful. This could include:
- RSVP card
- Accommodation details
- Public transport timetables
- Telephone numbers of taxi companies
- Local visitor attractions
- Supplementary information about the venues
Designing a Wedding Information Pack
Here are some things to consider when designing a wedding information pack:
Loose Leaf or Bound?
Separate pages can be inserted loosely into the invitation or other binder, or they can be bound together. Presenting the information separately allows the guests to take sheets out of the pack easily. They may, for instance, wish to keep the maps separately if they are driving to the wedding. Binding the information ensures that everything stays together and can give a more 'finished' look. Binding the information will increase the cost of the information pack and may also make it more bulky to send through the post.
There are no rights or wrongs when it comes to creating a wedding information pack and they can be any shape or size. It is practical for the pages to be of a size where the information can be clearly read, however maps and other large documents can be folded into a size that complements the shape and style of the rest of the wedding stationery.
Types of Binding
The information pages can be bound in any number of ways. A couple looking for an informal feel may opt for a simple binding such as a piece of ribbon threaded through holes in the paper, whereas a more formal look can be achieved by stitching the pages into a booklet. Attractive envelopes are a good alternative to bound documents as these will hold the loose pages safely together.
Rubber Stamping Information Packs
One of the benefits of using rubber stamps to create wedding stationery is that they can be used to follow a design through the whole wedding. This includes being able to apply an image or emblem onto every page of the wedding information pack. See Wedding Rubber Stamps and How to Choose Wedding Rubber Stamps for more information.
Ideas for Rubber Stamping Wedding Invitation Packs
Here are some ideas for making your own unique wedding invitation packs:
- CD Case – create all of the inserts onto paper that is trimmed to fit a cd case. Make an attractive cover using rubber stamps and other embellishments. This theme can be followed through to after the wedding when a special wedding photograph can be sent to guests along with instructions explaining how to turn the cd case into a photograph frame.
- Tags and Pockets – instead of making a folder to contain the pieces of information, make a concertina fold card and create a tag and pocket for each page. The information can then be written onto each tag. Where this isn't practical (a map for instance) this can be folded neatly and placed into a pocket.
- Exploding Box - make an exploding box and write a piece of information onto each section of the box. Pop a bag of confetti into the middle of the box.