A snowman is a popular Christmas and festive character and features on many rubber stamp designs. A snowman is often a cute and cuddly character which can be used in many festive projects. While the simple snowman shape is easy to stamp, it can be surprisingly difficult to color. Use this free snowman digital stamp to practice with.
Make Your Snowman Stand Out
The fact that a white snowman is often site against a white snow background means that it can be difficult to really make him stand out from the page. This could result in a flat looking project. However, just a couple of coloring tips can make all the difference. If you are using a snowman rubber stamp this year and want to make him really stand out from the page then try some of these techniques:
- Add shading - one of the easiest things you can do to make your snowman stand out is to use a very light color pen, pencil or paint to add a line of shading around the edge of your snowman. This will help to give him depth and dimension while also providing a contrast of color against a white background. A pale blue works particularly well as this gives the illusion of shading on the snow.
- Add shadow - add a slight shadow will help to bring the snowman alive. Remember that you will need to decide where the light is coming from and add any other shadow in the same position. The shadow need only be very muted, just enough to give dimension to the snowman on the page.
- Color the background - if you want to leave your snowman completely white then an alternative way to make him stand out from the page is to color the background. A pale blue or gray will give the illusion of snow and will add contrast to your design. A very pale dusting of color is all that is required.
- Cut out - another great way to make the snowman stand out is to stamp the snowman image onto thick paper or cardstock and cut it out before adding it the the project. A thick piece of double sided tape or glue dots will help to raise the snowman from the page and to make him stand out.
More Snowman Craft ProjectsHere are some more fun snowman craft projects:
- Snowman Crafts - lots of snowman related craft projects
- Snowman Paper Piecing Template - use this paper piecing pattern to make a layered snowman to add to handmade cards and scrapbooking projects
- Snowman Stencil - this stencil will help you add a snowman figure to your projects
- Snowman Beaded Cuff - this free beading pattern will help you make a peyote snowman beaded cuff bracelet
- Marshmallow Snowmen - make snowmen from marshmallows with small candy embellishments
- Snowman Clip Art - add these snow men clip art images to your festive projects
- Frosty the Snowman - sing along to Frosty the Snowman using these lyrics and guitar cords