This paper bead necklace is a rich mix of brightly colored paper beads interspersed with coordinating glass beads. The finished effect is striking, with an interesting range of textures and styles. There are many ways of finishing this necklace. I chose to make it a 'lariat' style necklace, hanging a feature bead on each end so the necklace can be worn wrapped around the neck. Another option would be to finish the necklace in a traditional manner so that the ends are joined and the necklace can be worn long or wrapped around a couple of time to make a shorter necklace. Earrings are also easy to make and a couple of spare beads could make a great pair of earrings to add the perfect finishing touch.
Paper beads are easy to make and you can decorate them with rubber stamps and inks to create your own custom designs. I wanted turquoise beads to go with the glass beads, so I chose a deep turquoise ink. If you are new to making paper beads then they are explained in more detail in this article and a template is also provided to make creating them even easier - How to Make Paper Beads.
Tip:Ink the edges of the paper to give added depth and interest to the beads.
- Paper beads as required
- Complementary colored button and glass beads (the glass beads should be bigger than the hole in the center of the paper bead)
- Craft wire
- Wire snips or cutters, round nosed pliers
- Thread a paper bead onto a piece of craft wire and add a couple of glass beads at either end. Secure the ends by bending the wire round to form a loop. Snip off any ends of wire.
- When all the paper beads have been threaded, join the threaded wires together. I used a piece of craft wire to join to of the wires threaded with paper beads together. I added a bead to this for interest and to hide the ends of the wire that I had wrapped around the loop to secure. Another way to join the paper bead threaded wires would be to use jumprings.
- Attach a feature bead to each end of the necklace or finish as desired.
More Paper Bead Projects
- Halloween Paper Bead Earrings - these earrings can be adapted for any occasion
- Paper Bead Star - this paper bead star make a pretty ornament
- Paper Bead Ornament - make a large paper bead and use this to hang ornaments from or as a decoration in its own right, you could also make a few and string them together to make an unusual garland