What are Pigment Powders?:
Pigment powders contain extremely finely ground pigments mixed with mica. The mica gives a pearlescent sheen to the powders. These powders are very versatile and can be applied in a variety of ways which makes them useful for many stamping projects. Pigment powders are available in a wide variety of colors, including metallic colors through to funky and bright shades. The powders are readily available from most stamping and craft stores.
How are Pigment Powders Used?:
Pigment powders add a level of color and sheen to a project that is hard to replicate with other coloring methods. There are many different ways that the powders can be used and these include:
- Applied Dry - A dusting of pigment powder over an image that has been stamped with a clear embossing ink will give a pearlescent finish to the image. These will need to be fixed with a spray of fixative or water.
- Applied Wet - Pigment powders can be applied wet, either by mixing them with a special solution, a glue, such as gum arabic, or simply mixed with water (check manufacturers instructions for specific information.
Other Ways of Using Pigment Powders:
Being a finely ground mix of pigment and mica, pigment powders can be added to a variety of other mediums. They can be added to embossing powder, for instance, to add luster to an embossed image. The powders can also be added to craft varnishes or glazes.
Buying Pigment Powders:
Pigment powders are generally sold packed in small jars and are available either as single pots or in packs. There are several different brands available including:
- Ranger Inks - Perfect Pearls
- Luminarte - Primary Elements
- Lindy's Stamp Gang - Moon Glow
- Jacquard Products Pearl Ex